My Photo
Name:
Location: Uto city, Kumamoto, Japan

I returned to Japan in April 2011 after living in NZ for the past 12 years. It's so refreshing to immerse in the Japanese culture after such a long break.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Personal Best

I did it! I ran a half marathon at 1 hour 39 minutes 13 seconds. This is a great achievement, as my aim was to run under 1 hour 45 minutes. Next year, I'd love to set a personal best of 1 hour 30 minutes. It'll be a big challenge, but they say 'If you can dream it, you can do it." I'll take a word for it! Although my whole legs, especially my calf muscles, are still sore and I'm walking like an old lady, I'm already looking forward to a next fun run (10km), which is held in Outram at the end of this month. The course is very flat and straight without much variety or scenery to speak of, but the afternoon tea they provide is just fantastic. It's worth taking part in for the sake of enjoying good food with all the other runners. What else would you need after a good workout?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!! You go girl! I've just read through your blogs and really enjoy them. I like the way you espress yourself, you have a lovely writing style.

Look after yourself with the OOS. I've had it for over 10 years now and some days like today can bearly move my arms. Pilates seems to be helping ever so slightly, but its early days yet. Hot water bottles feel good when the pain is horrible, but as yet i've found nothing that is going to make it go away for ever.

Why don't you talk to Lindsay about getting a key board like the one I used in the lab? If I'm not coming back then you are more than welcome to have it, or why don;t you use it until I come back, (if I do). It helped me heaps.

I'm off to a pilates session now. I've had to adapt them for times like now when my arms are sore. The aching drives me nuts and wakes me during the night, but its the 'electric shocks' and 'pins and needles' that bother me the most...uck.

Well done with the marathon.
Marieah

4:02 PM  
Blogger Hadashi said...

Hi Mami
Wish I could run with you at Outram. Next Novwember in Invercargill will have to do.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Mami said...

Thank you for your kind word, Marieah. My OOS is under control at the moment. I think yours is much nastier than mine, poor thing. We have to keep up with Pilates. Once you learn some of the mat Pilates exercise, you can do it at home as well. I'm using a camping mat as a substitute of a fancy Yoga mat, and it works well. There are a few good books about mat Pilates at the public library, so check it out!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Mami said...

Yes, it's a pity we can't run together at Outram.
You have to wait for the Invercargill marathon to do so,
but by then you'll be in a much better shape.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home