My Photo
Name:
Location: Uto city, Kumamoto, Japan

I returned to Japan in April 2011 after living in NZ for the past 12 years. It's so refreshing to immerse in the Japanese culture after such a long break.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

OOS (Occupational Overuse Syndrome)



I've developed OOS, also called repetitive strain injury (RSI), recently by doing data entry. My current experiment involves paper and pencil questionnaires, and I have to enter hundreds of thousands of data by hand. The uncomfortable sensation started from my palm, wrist and spread into my lower and then upper arm. It's happened so quickly.

An occupational safety officer at my department checked my workstation. He adjusted the height of my desk and chair, and he attached a rotating armrest to the desk. I thought this will fix the problem! No. He then told me a scary story about a woman who ignored the sign of OOS. Now, 10 years later, she can't even write a word!! That was enough for me to heed his advice to stop doing data entry right then and there. However, I can't do without a computer. Every work (well 99.5%) revolves around a computer. I do all my writing on it, as it's not only easy to edit, but also the computer has a referencing software Endnote in which all of my references live.

A doctor told me that I just need to be aware how I work, and take micro breaks (every 5 minutes) to stretch different parts of my body. It sounds so straightforward, but it's not so in reality. You sit in front of a computer. Your eyes are glued to the screen; your fingers are permanently hovering on the keyboard or mouse. In the meantime, time flies really fast, and before you know it, you've been working for more than one hour without any break, Ahhhh....

Anyway, I have to stick to the stretch regime as much as I can, because my survival as a PhD student depends on it. If you have any other good ideas to avoid OOS, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home