My Photo
Name:
Location: Uto city, Kumamoto, Japan

I returned to Japan in April 2011 after living in NZ for the past 12 years. It's so refreshing to immerse in the Japanese culture after such a long break.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Feltmaking - first experience

"What is this?" My husband, asks me holding a felt pouch I made at my first feltmaking class. Without a handle and decoration, the pouch looks like an oval-shaped helmet. It's gray outside and pink inside. I chose salmon pink wool to contrast gray wool. However, the pink wool fibers have tangled with some of the gray ones, and that once-beautiful salmon pink has turned into 'dirty' pink. The process of felt-making itself was great fun. It was more physical than you think. You have to rub, squeeze, kneed, push, roll, etc. My back was pretty sore after the first class (about three hours). I'm wondering what happens at the last class in which we are going to make a jacket.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hadashi said...

It could have given you your sore neck too! And caused Aki's cold!! Felt making may be dangerous, don't you think?

9:04 PM  
Blogger Mami said...

Ha-ha, that's a comment from a weakling. You know, we Japanese women are tough. As long as you massage my back, neck, and legs (for running), I'll be fine.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home